Please add “UK” to your location if using search.
- This event has passed.
October 2 @ 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM£80.00
During this workshop you will learn how to make ‘Miller’ Waistcoat (pictured) in UK size 6-18, using a Merchant & Mills sewing pattern
The Miller Waistcoat pattern offers a softly structured waistcoat with a boxy fit, two welt pockets and a simple stitched belt at the back. Layer up in the winter or wear on its own in the summer in a tumbled linen.
Get to grips with a sewing machine and learn how to use a commercial pattern.
All abilities welcome, don’t worry if this is your first time sewing.
Where: O L D E R O P E, 5, The Moor, Falmouth Cornwall TR11 3QA
When: Sunday 2nd October
Price: £80 including pattern
Skill Level: No prior knowledge required
Class size: max. 6
What will I learn?
How to understand and cut out a commercial pattern in your size and make adjustments to improve fit.
Learn about fabric and how to cut it out correctly.
Construction of your waistcoat using a sewing machine.
You will learn how to sew welted pockets, buttonholes and how to line a garment.
Simple and easy to follow instructions to improve and develop your skills with an experienced tutor.
Small groups allow for individual support and learning at your own pace.
If you have to leave early or don’t quite finish, you can come back to complete your garment in store free of charge.
Tutor on hand to support you through your creation
What is included?
- We provide sewing machines, and all tools and equipment you will need to create your waistcoat.
- Merchant & Mills Miller Waistcoat pattern in UK sizes 6-18 for you to keep
- A £5 lunch voucher for Good Vibes across the road from us is included in the day.
What do I need to bring?
- Fabric and threads. We prefer you to use preloved or waste fabric. You can visit the Retro Falmouth Cornwall Hospice care in Penryn, or Ring Rose fabrics in Redruth for Zero waste options. Please wash and dry all fabric prior to the workshop.
- We have Gutermann recycled sew-all threads available to purchase in store should you require.
The waistcoat works well in a range of fabric weights. Suitable fabrics – 5-8oz linen, 5-10oz denim, light – medium weight corduroy, wool, wool blends, cotton canvas or twill. For the lining: lightweight wovens such as calico, cotton lawn, cotton, cotton blends, tencel/linen (when choosing your cloth consider that the lining fabric may be visible).
Main Fabric (front waistcoat only)
- Main Fabric(including back)
Lining (including outer back)
Lining (for version with self back)
- 6 x 1.5cm/ 3/4″ buttons.
- 2.5cm / 1″ buckle slider or two extra buttons (optional)
- We know that getting the right amount of fabric can be confusing so please send us an email with any questions
All workshops are payable in advance. Refunds will be given if you notify us of cancellation within 48 hours of the event
If you have any questions please send us an email
or visit us in store
Thanks for being part of the solution