Please add “UK” to your location if using search.
October 30 @ 9:00 AM - November 6 @ 5:00 PM£150.00
During this 2-Day workshop you will learn how to make a ‘September’ Overcoat (pictured) in UK size 6-18, using a Merchant & Mills sewing pattern
Overcoat meets duster. An oversized coat for striding through town and country with purpose.
Choose to make either lined or unlined. The September works for a variety of seasons, in oilskin or wool it can be a proper winter coat, or in linen it feels like a casual throw on.
Get to grips with a sewing machine and learn how to use a commercial pattern.
All abilities welcome, don’t worry if this is your first time sewing.
Where: O L D E R O P E, 5, The Moor, Falmouth Cornwall TR11 3QA
When: Sunday 30th October & 6th November 9-5pm
Price: £150 including pattern
Skill Level: No prior knowledge required
Class size: max. 6
What will I learn?
How to understand and cut out a commercial pattern in your size and make adjustments to improve fit.
Learn about fabric and how to cut it out correctly.
Construction of your apron using a sewing machine.
You will learn how to sew patch pockets, attach a collar, construction of Raglan sleeves, buttonholes and finishing of seams.
Simple and easy to follow instructions to improve and develop your skills with an experienced tutor.
Small groups allow for individual support and learning at your own pace.
If you have to leave early or don’t quite finish, you can come back to complete your garment in store free of charge.
Tutor on hand to support you through your creation
What is included?
- We provide sewing machines, and all tools and equipment you will need to create your apron.
- Merchant & Mills September Coat pattern in uk size 6-18 for you to keep
- A £5 lunch voucher for Good Vibes across the road from us is included in the day.
What do I need to bring?
- Fabric and threads. We prefer you to use preloved or waste fabric. You can visit the Retro Falmouth Cornwall Hospice care in Penryn, or Ring Rose fabrics in Redruth for Zero waste options. Please wash and dry all fabric prior to the workshop.
- We have Gutermann recycled sew-all threads available to purchase in store should you require.
The coat works well in a range of fabric weights. Suggested fabrics – Dry oilskin, oilskin, mid – heavyweight linens, 7 – 12oz denim, wool, corduroy, cotton twills or canvas. A heavier weight cloth will result in a more structured coat. For the lining, we’d suggest using Barrier Lining if you are using oilskin. You could also use cotton voile, lightweight linen, cotton poplin, hemp/cotton, lightweight wools or a traditional slip lining.
You will also need:1 x Matching thread5 x 2cm/3/4″ buttons
All workshops are payable in advance. Refunds will be given if you notify us of cancellation within 48 hours of the event
If you have any questions please send us an email
or visit us in store
Thanks for being part of the solution